Friday, May 9, 2014

Wedneday and Thursday May 8

Wednesday I intended to train. Instead I had to be a husband and a dad. I know I am going through the toughest part of my year - a lot of people in my profession are. I think April/May is as tough a time to get through as November/December.

The only Christmas we get during this time of year is June. And the weather has been awful for fields and rugby in general.

So Wednesday I had to put off training to be a husband and a dad. A shoulder to cry on and a hand to hold. I think that is as important a thing as I can do on this planet.

Thursday was an interesting day. I went to a conference in Niagara Falls, Ontario. Connect 2014 was the name of the event. I liked it. I took copious notes on the workshops I attended and I have a lot to think about in the next year. I would like to go back and .... I got a selfie with a couple of the big guns as I was stepping out the door.

On the way back home, I stopped off at a high school rugby game and chatted with some of the guys I coached a year or two ago. That was a pleasant little deistraction and I took some pictures and uploaded them to each team's Facebook group. In order to not have my email flooded with request for comments and tags, I changed my settings on Fb to allow them all. Ugh, last thing I need is fifty high school kids tagging people and requiring me to allow the tags.

In any case, After that it was go home, be a dad and a husband and eat steak and shrimp. Yup, that was as tasty as it sounds.

I got to rugby training and into the first real contact Union training session this spring. Scrums and a bit of contact in the open play.

After, I got this done for two rounds:
from StudentofMovement.ca

20 kb cleans - 16 kilo bell used throughout.
20 kb clean and presses
20 kb snatches
2 x 5m kb overhead walks
10 around the waist hand to hands
10 two handed swing to high release and catches
5 "halos" around the head with the kettlebell

and then got to chit chat with the new coaches. Seems I'll be in the front row this year; my dreams of being a wing have been dashed .... again...

No comments:

Post a Comment